Havelock Island in Andaman: Your Ultimate Guide to Paradise 2023
Nestled within the tropical paradise of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Havelock Island emerges as a jewel in the crown of India’s coastal treasures. Renowned for its untouched beauty and tranquility, this island is a must-visit for those seeking an unforgettable tropical escape on the Andaman and Nicobar Tour Package.
With its pristine white sandy beaches, crystal-clear turquoise waters, and vibrant marine life, this island paradise is a captivating haven where nature’s artistry is on full display. Havelock Island (now called Swaraj Dweep) offers a myriad of experiences that cater to every traveler’s desires.
Be it the breathtaking Radhanagar Beach, often hailed as one of Asia’s best beaches, where you can bask in the sun’s warm embrace and immerse yourself in the serene surroundings.
For adventure enthusiasts, the underwater world at Havelock Island in Andaman is an absolute treasure trove. Embark on thrilling water sports like snorkeling or scuba diving excursions to witness the vibrant coral reefs, diverse marine species, and the famous residents – the majestic manta rays.
Away from the water’s edge, the lush green interior of the island presents opportunities for exploration. Trekking through dense forests to reach the captivating Elephant Beach or gazing in awe at the natural wonder of bioluminescent plankton lighting up the night waters are experiences that create lasting memories, giving you moments to enjoy your nightlife on the Andaman Islands.
As you plan your Andaman and Nicobar tour package, ensure that Havelock Island finds its rightful place in your itinerary. It’s not just a destination; it’s a journey into an untouched paradise where every moment is etched with the magic of nature’s beauty and tranquility.
How to Reach Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep?
If you’re looking to explore the beautiful Andaman islands, Havelock is the perfect place to start! There are lots of different ways to get there, so you can pick the one that best suits your needs. But no matter what kind of transport you take, you’ll be amazed by the stunning beaches, colorful fish, and lush greenery you’ll find.
So if you’re planning a tour of the Andaman Islands and Nicobar, and you’re wondering how to get to this tropical paradise, here’s the answer!
- By Air and Ferry: The most common way to reach Havelock Island is by air and ferry. You can take a flight to the airport in Port Blair, where you can catch a government or private ferry to the island. The ferry ride is a great way to see the beautiful Bay of Bengal as you make your way to your island retreat.
- By Seaplane: Alternatively, you can opt for a seaplane service. From Port Blair, you can take a short but exciting flight to the islands, where you can enjoy stunning aerial views of the surrounding waters.
- By Cruise: If you want to create your own schedule and travel at your own pace, you can also opt for a luxury cruise service that connects Port Blair with Havelock. This type of cruise offers a combination of comfort and adventure and allows you to soak up the natural beauty of the sea as you sail.
- By Private Yacht or Charter: If you’re looking for a personalized and exclusive experience, consider chartering a private yacht to sail to Havelock Island. This option is ideal for those who wish to create their own schedule and enjoy the journey at their own pace.
Transportation in/ around Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep
Traveling to Havelock Island is an exciting experience made easy by a variety of transportation options to suit every traveler’s needs. Before you start your tour of the Andaman Islands and Nicobar, here’s a guide to exploring Havelock Island’s wonders, along with the approximate costs in INR.
- Walking: The island’s relatively compact size and stunning vistas make walking an immersive and free option, allowing you to explore without any expenses.
- Bicycles: Renting a bicycle costs around ₹300 to ₹500 per day, providing an eco-friendly and budget-friendly way to leisurely explore the island’s beauty.
- Two-Wheelers: Scooter and motorbike rentals offer more speed and convenience, with costs ranging from ₹500 to ₹1000 per day. Zip around the island, taking in its sights at your own pace.
- Auto Rickshaws: For short distances, auto rickshaws charge approximately ₹100 to ₹200, offering convenient point-to-point transfers.
- Taxis: Taxis and private car hires are available for a more personalized experience. The cost varies based on distance, averaging between ₹800 to ₹1500 per trip.
- Boat and Ferry Services: Essential for island hopping, ferry rides vary in cost. For example, a one-way ferry trip to Neil Island can cost around ₹200 to ₹300.
Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly option like walking or cycling, or a slightly more luxurious option like scooters or taxis, there’s a way to explore Havelock Island while keeping your budget in mind.
Best Beaches on Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep
Are you looking for a tropical getaway in the Andaman & Nicobar Archipelago? Havelock is one of the best places on the Andaman Islands for you! With its untouched beauty and peaceful atmosphere, there are so many stunning beaches to choose from. But there are a few that are sure to be your go-to destination, each with its own unique blend of beauty and adventure.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach getaway, an adventure, or a cultural experience, there’s something for everyone in Havelock. These amazing beaches aren’t just sand and water – they’re the start of something beautiful!
1. Radhanagar Beach – Asia’s Best Beach
Radhanagar Beach is known as Asia’s best beach, and it’s easy to see why. With its powder-white sands and turquoise water, it’s the perfect place to unwind and unwind after a long day at work. Radhanagar Beach is also known for its stunning sunset views, calm waves, and peaceful atmosphere. Whether you’re lounging beneath the swaying palms, or taking a stroll along the shoreline, you’re sure to find the perfect spot for a tropical getaway.
2. Elephant Beach
Elephant Beach is easily accessible by foot through the forest or by boat. If you’re looking for an unforgettable underwater experience, Elephant Beach is the place to go! You can get there by boat or by snorkeling, and it’s easy to see why. There are tons of colorful coral beds, lots of sea life, and you can even spot sea turtles! It’s a short hike through lush forests, but it’s definitely worth it!
3. Kalapathar Beach
Kalapathar Beach is renowned on Havelock Island in Andaman for its stunning contrast of black volcanic rock against its turquoise waters, creating a tranquil and picturesque atmosphere. It is a popular destination for nature enthusiasts and those seeking a sense of serenity.
4. Vijaynagar Beach
If you’re looking for a peaceful getaway, check out Vijaynagar Beach! It’s also known as “Beach No. 5” and it’s the perfect spot for a swim or a sunbathe. The sand is soft and the water is shallow, making it a great spot for a dip. Plus, it’s surrounded by lush greenery, so you can relax and take a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
5. Govind Nagar Beach
If you’re looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the island, check out Govind Nagar Beach. It’s right near the jetty and you can watch the islanders come in with their catch. It’s a great way to get to know the locals and feel like you’re part of the local culture.
Top Things to Do on Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep
If you’re looking for an unforgettable experience, Havelock Island is the place to be! This idyllic island in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands is full of exciting activities that will leave you with a lasting impression. From snorkeling to sailing, there’s something for everyone here. But don’t just think of it as an adventure – Havelock Island has so much more to offer! From stunning marine life to stunning beaches, there’s something to do for everyone.
- Scuba Diving: Underwater adventure awaits on Havelock Island, where the coral reefs are alive with marine life. Scuba diving here is an experience that will leave you breathless. As you dive, you will be able to observe a tapestry of color as schools of fish pass beneath the surface and graceful sea turtles grace the waters.
- Snorkeling: Those who prefer to remain close to the surface are rewarded with an equally captivating experience when snorkeling. The crystal-clear waters provide a glimpse of coral gardens and marine life, as well as a peaceful symphony of colors beneath the surface.
- Trekking to Elephant Beach: Embark on a scenic trek through lush forests to reach Elephant Beach. The journey itself is a revelation, and upon arrival, the azure waters beckon you to take a dip. Whether you’re snorkeling, swimming, or simply unwinding on the shoreline, this beach offers a quintessential tropical escape.
- Witness Bioluminescent Plankton: As the sun sets, the shoreline of Havelock Island is illuminated by a dazzling array of lights. Bioluminescence is the magic of the water, and swimming in these waters can be likened to swimming through a galaxy of stars, leaving one in awe of the wonders of nature.
- Beach Basking: If you’re looking for a relaxing beach getaway, you can’t go wrong with a trip to Havelock. Whether you’re looking for the world-famous Radhanagar beach or the peaceful Govind Nagar beach, you’ll feel the sun’s warmth on your skin as you soak up the sun’s rays. Let the waves beat down on you and let the sound of the waves wash over you.
- Kayaking: Kayaking provides an opportunity to explore the island’s natural beauty by paddling through tranquil waters, and traversing sheltered coves and the mangroves. The experience of kayaking provides a tranquil way to connect with the island’s serene atmosphere.
Other popular activities on Havelock Island in Andaman include parasailing, sea bed walking, camping on the beach, candle-lit dinners by the beach, swimming, and beach combing.
Places to Stay on Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep
The Andaman island of Havelock offers a variety of accommodation options to suit any traveler’s needs. From opulent resorts to comfortable guesthouses, there is something for everyone, whether you are looking for a luxurious beachfront stay, an eco-friendly stay, a cultural immersion experience, or a unique boutique experience. With a wide selection of options, travelers can find the perfect place to call home while enjoying the tropical paradise.
- Luxury Resorts: Take a break from the hustle and bustle and indulge in the finer things in life at one of the island’s luxury resorts. Whether you’re looking for a private beach getaway, a luxury spa facility, or a bespoke service, you’ll find it all at one of Havelock’s world-class resorts, where you’ll enjoy world-class cuisine and stunning ocean views.
- Beachfront Bungalows and Cottages: For a true island experience, choose a beachfront accommodation, such as a bungalow or cottage. Enjoy a peaceful start to your day, as you wake up to the sound of the waves lapping against the shoreline, and step out onto the immaculate sands directly in front of you. These accommodations provide an ideal balance of comfort and proximity to nature.
- Eco-Friendly Accommodations: If you’re looking for a place to stay that’s eco-friendly, Havelock Island has got you covered! Eco resorts and lodges are part of the island’s commitment to sustainable tourism, so you can enjoy your stay while reducing your impact on the environment.
- Guesthouses and Homestays: Experience the hospitality of the island by selecting a guesthouse or homestay. Meet friendly hosts, enjoy traditional cuisine, and gain an understanding of the island’s culture. These accommodations are ideal for travelers who are looking for an authentic experience on a budget.
- Boutique Hotels: Havelock Island boutique hotels are the perfect place to stay if you’re looking for something special, cozy, and character-filled. With personal touches and carefully crafted rooms, you’ll feel like you’re in someone else’s home.
What to Eat on Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep?
When visiting Havelock Island in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, you’ll have the opportunity to savor a variety of delicious dishes. Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian, you’ll be sure to find something to satisfy your cravings. You’ll find plenty of seafood and a mix of flavors from India and Southeast Asia on the island of Havelock.
Check out some of the top dishes to try while you’re there!
- Seafood Platter (Non-Vegetarian): Given the island’s proximity to the ocean, fresh seafood is a highlight. Indulge in a seafood platter that may include a variety of delicacies like grilled fish, prawns, crab, and squid, often marinated with local spices and herbs.
- Fish Curry: Enjoy a traditional Andaman-style fish curry, made with locally caught fish simmered in a tangy and flavorful coconut milk-based gravy. The blend of spices and coconut creates a unique taste that’s characteristic of the region.
- Lobster Thermidor: Delight in the decadence of lobster thermidor, a classic French dish with an Andaman twist. Lobster meat is cooked with a rich creamy sauce, often flavored with cheese, mustard, and herbs.
- Tandoori Fish: Feast on tandoori-marinated fish, cooked to perfection in a tandoor oven. The smoky flavors combined with the delicate taste of fish create a mouthwatering dish.
- Crab Curry: Indulge in a crab curry where fresh crabs are cooked in a fragrant masala sauce. The combination of tender crab meat and spicy curry is a local favorite.
- Vegetable Biryani: For vegetarians, the vegetable biryani is a must-try dish. Fragrant basmati rice is cooked with a medley of vegetables and aromatic spices, creating a wholesome and flavorful meal.
- Coconut Curry: Sample a coconut-based vegetarian curry that incorporates a mix of seasonal vegetables in a creamy coconut gravy, enriched with local spices.
- Paneer Tikka: Enjoy marinated and grilled paneer (Indian cottage cheese) served with a tangy mint chutney. It’s a great option for vegetarians seeking a flavorful dish.
- Cuttlefish Stir-Fry: Delve into a cuttlefish stir-fry, where tender pieces of cuttlefish are cooked with an array of vegetables, spices, and herbs, resulting in a delectable seafood medley.
- Andaman Fried Rice: Relish Andaman fried rice, a fusion dish that combines local flavors with a Chinese influence. It typically includes rice stir-fried with vegetables, seafood, and a blend of spices.
Places to Eat on Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep
Havelock Island offers a wide variety of cuisines to suit all tastes. From beachside dining to cozy cafes, there are plenty of cafes, beach huts, and restaurants to enjoy the island’s fresh seafood and international flavors. Located in the heart of the Andaman Archipelago, Havelock Island is a tropical paradise with a diverse dining scene.
If you’re looking for a gastronomic experience that’s sure to leave you in awe, check out these:
- Something Different Café: This café lives up to its name, providing a unique blend of international cuisines. With a charming atmosphere and a wide selection of Mediterranean, Indian and Continental dishes, it is suitable for all tastes.
- Barefoot Bar & Brasserie: A prominent beachside spot, Barefoot is renowned for its tranquil setting and delectable seafood offerings. Diners can relish the catch of the day prepared with a local twist while enjoying stunning ocean views.
- Full Moon Café: This laid-back café by the beach is a favorite among travelers. The menu boasts an assortment of seafood dishes and international fare, making it an ideal spot to unwind after a day of exploration.
- Anju Coco Resto: Known for its warm ambiance and excellent seafood, Anju Coco Resto serves up a blend of Indian, Chinese, and Continental cuisines. The tandoori preparations and fresh seafood are particularly popular.
- Fat Martin Café: A charming eatery with a relaxed vibe, Fat Martin Café offers a diverse range of dishes. From wood-fired pizzas to seafood platters, guests can indulge in flavors that cater to various tastes.
- Something Fishy: As a beach shack with a rustic charm, Something Fishy excels in preparing lip-smacking seafood dishes. Their grilled fish and crab curry are must-tries for seafood enthusiasts.
- Red Snapper: Situated on the beach, Red Snapper provides a picturesque dining setting. The menu showcases an eclectic mix of seafood and global cuisine, all prepared using the freshest ingredients.
- Vijaynagar Beach Shacks: These shacks offer an authentic local experience, serving up Andaman-style seafood delicacies. Visitors can relish the taste of the sea while gazing at the azure waters.
Frequently Asked Questions for Havelock Island/ Swaraj Dweep
1. Where is Havelock Island situated?
Situated in the central Bay of Bengal, Havelock Island enjoys a unique and picturesque coastline, with pristine beaches, picturesque landscapes, and a vibrant underwater world. Havelock island is situated on the east coast of India, approximately 70 kilometers northeast of the capital, Port Blair, which is the administrative seat of the Andamans.
2. How many days do you need for Havelock?
If you want to experience Havelock Island to the fullest, you should plan to stay there for at least 2-3 days. That way, you can take in all the stunning beaches, go snorkeling or diving, get to know the locals, and just hang out in the peaceful atmosphere.
3. How much time does it take to travel from Port Blair to Havelock?
Port Blair is the capital of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, and it’s about 70 kilometers away from Havelock Island. If you’re taking a ferry, it’ll take you around 2-3 hours to get there. But if you’re taking a speedboat, you’ll get there in about 1.5-2 hours. It all depends on which ferry and speedboat you’re using.