Best Guide for Honeymoon in Meghalaya: Where Nature Meets Romance
If you are someone who wants to spend their newly married moments away from the hustle-bustle of city life, secluded somewhere in the lap of nature where you are only surrounded by the beauty of nature, then a honeymoon in Meghalaya with our Meghalaya Tour Packages is the best choice for you!
Meghalaya, a secluded gem in northeastern India promises you a memorable honeymoon experience in nature. In this comprehensive honeymoon guide for Meghalaya, we will take you on a journey through Meghalaya’s enchanting landscapes and help you plan the perfect honeymoon.
A honeymoon in Meghalaya is a dream come true for couples seeking a unique and romantic adventure. Meghalaya offers a picturesque backdrop for newlyweds with its rolling hills, misty waterfalls, and vibrant culture, making it an ideal destination for a romantic escape.
Why Choose Meghalaya for Your Honeymoon
Meghalaya, often referred to as the “Abode of Clouds,” is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers. It is one of the offbeat destinations for honeymoon in India, but it will be worth it. Here’s why you should consider it for your honeymoon:
- Nature’s Embrace: Wake up to the chirping of birds and the rustle of the tress in the breeze, which can be a perfect start to a romantic day. With lush green hills, serene lakes, and a world of natural beauty, Meghalaya feels like Mother Nature’s warm embrace.
- Adventure awaits: If you’re looking for a thrill-packed adventure with your loved one, then you’ve come to the right place. From caves and waterfalls to treks and breathtaking views, there are several things to do in Meghalaya for honeymoon couples and make memories together.
- Culture & Tradition: Not only do you get to experience the beauty of the hills, but you’ll also be able to immerse yourself in the rich heritage of the Khasi and Jantia tribes, learn their customs and traditions, and truly feel like you’re part of something special. The warm hospitality of these locals will only enhance your honeymoon experience here.
- Escape the Crowds: Unlike other crowded tourist destinations, Meghalaya has the advantage of being an offbeat location, thus making it less crowded. You can enjoy your quality time together and feel peace, making a Honeymoon in Meghalaya an ideal choice.
- Romantic Rain: Some parts of Meghalaya are known to be the wettest place on Earth. So what better way to relive the classic Bollywood romance under the romantic rain showers? Also, imagine yourself cuddling with your partner as the drops of rain fall on your window and create a melodic melody.
- Unique Experience: Whether you’re taking a boat ride on a crystal-clear river or strolling on the living root bridges, each corner of Meghalaya is filled with many places to create memories as newlyweds together.
So, why choose Meghalaya for your honeymoon? Because it offers a unique and memorable experience that will be cherished for years to come. It is the perfect place to write the first chapter of a love story in a magical setting. Now that you are convinced, let’s dive deeper into this Honeymoon Guide for Meghalaya.
Places to Visit in Meghalaya For Honeymoon
Shillong – the capital city of Meghalaya is often described as the “Scotland of the East” as it captivates travelers with its enchanting beauty. Couples seeking an off-beat honeymoon in Meghalaya, Shillong emerges as the top destination for newlyweds. Nestled amidst the rolling hills and surrounded by lush mountains, a honeymoon in Shillong is sure to leave you with lasting memories.
Whether you’re strolling through its picturesque landscapes, soaking up the local music culture, or indulging in the city’s delicious cuisine, you’re sure to experience a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage.
Shillong is home to one of the most vibrant cultural scenes in the country, and is often referred to as India’s “Rock Capital”. At various venues, you’ll find live performances of local bands and extremely talented musicians, all of which add to the energy and creativity of the atmosphere.
If you’re planning a honeymoon in November, don’t forget to visit Shillong’s autumn festival, which is one of the top things to do in Shillong for honeymoon couples. With traditional music, dances, and art exhibitions galore, this festival is a must-see for anyone visiting Shillong.
Shillong is an ideal destination for those with a taste for culinary delights. From Jadoh, a delectable rice and meat dish, to Momos, a delightful steamed dumpling that melts in your mouth, to the delightful fermented soybean curry, Shillong offers a wealth of culinary delights and serves as a gateway to the famous food of Meghalaya.
To fully immerse oneself in the local culture and experience the city’s vibrant commercial hub, the Police Bazaar, a bustling local market scene, is a must-visit. With all of these culinary delights, going for a honeymoon in Shillong is sure to capture the essence of romance and create lasting memories.
Best Places To Visit In Shillong For Honeymoon
- Umiam Lake – Umiam Lake is a manmade reservoir surrounded by hills on all sides, which makes it one of the top romantic places in Shillong. Couples can spend quality time together by going for a small picnic by the lakeside, or just enjoy a leisurely time.
- Elephant Falls – Named after a rock resembling an elephant, the elephant falls cascade through multiple tiers and creates a spectacle of nature’s magnificence. Couple visiting for their honeymoon in Shillong, visit this place to get away from the bustling city life.
- Don Bosco Museum – For couples who have a keen interest in history or want to know about the local culture, the Don Bosco Museum is a must-visit. The seven-story museum in the heart of Shillong is Asia’s largest Museum of Indigenous Cultures. It is divided into 16 galleries that showcase artifacts, paintings, and figures significant to the diverse culture and traditions of North East.
- Wards Lake – Wards Lake is definitely one of the best places to visit in Shillong for honeymoon couples, as it offers a sense of peace right in the heart of the city. This colonial lake is also surrounded well-manicured garden, where couples can spend some romantic time.
- Cathedral of Mary Help of Christians – With its towering arches and beautifully painted glasswork, this is one of the most beautiful churches in Shillong. It is located on a hilltop and thus offers beautiful views of the city, the snow-clad mountains, and the Brahmaputra River. Thus, it is a must-visit place for honeymoon couples to seek blessings and enjoy panoramic views around.
- Police Bazaar – If you want to do some shopping in Shillong, then visiting Police Bazaar in Shillong is one of the best things to do in Shillong for honeymoon couples. You can buy the local handicrafts here or take some souvenirs for your loved ones back home.
Known locally as Sohra, Cherrapunji stands out as one of the most romantic places in Meghalaya, making it an idyllic destination for honeymooners. This enchanting location is the wettest place on Earth, and thus its natural allure is enough to captivate anyone visiting this natural gem of Meghalaya.
And what better honeymoon destination can be with the aura of romantic rains, lush greenery and serenity for couples seeking a romantic getaway in Meghalaya?
Cherrapunji’s true beauty lies in its splendid waterfalls that cascade down the steep mountain cliffs, creating a mesmerizing display of nature’s wonder. These waterfalls create a romantic atmosphere, perfect for couples looking to share special moments amidst breathtaking beauty, a perfect setting for a honeymoon in Meghalaya
Enhancing the romantic ambiance of Cherrapunji are the living root bridges, architectural wonders crafted by nature itself. These bridges are formed by gently guiding the aerial roots of ancient rubber trees across rivers and streams, resulting in sturdy and naturally charming walkways. As you and your beloved stroll hand in hand across these remarkable bridges, you’ll find yourselves immersed in the romantic essence of Meghalaya.
Beyond the waterfalls and bridges, Cherrapunji offers a touch of mystery with its mystical caves. These subterranean wonders invite adventurous couples to explore more about each other, creating thrilling and unforgettable experiences that can be cherished as precious memories of your honeymoon in Meghalaya.
Best Places To Visit In Cherrapunji For Honeymoon
- Nohkalikai Waterfalls – This dramatically plunging waterfalls from the mighty cliffs of the Khasi Hills, will leave you in awe. Watching one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the country adds to the list of one of the top things to do in Meghalaya for a honeymoon, as it sets a perfect fairytale background. Not only the beauty of this waterfall, but the heartbreaking story behind the name of this waterfall makes it one of the most romantic places in Meghalaya.
- Mawsamai Caves – Cherrapunji is home to a variety of cave systems, which provides a perfect setting for adventure couples to go and explore these dark caves. One of the most popular caves is the Mawsamai Caves – known for its beautiful limestone formations and as you go deeper into the cave, you’ll find hidden chambers and rock formations that will take your breath away.
- Double Decker Living Root Bridge (Nongriat) – When it comes to visiting the top romantic places in Meghalaya that are a must-visit, the root bridge of Nongriat definitely tops the list. This root bridge of Nongriat is nature’s architectural wonder, due to its 2 storey-structure that has been beautifully crafted over the years by the local Khasi Tribe. It can be accessed by descending a fleet of 3500 steps, deep into the lush forest starting from the Tyrna village, which is an exhilarating experience.
- Garden of Caves – This is probably the most picturesque garden in Meghalaya, perfect for couples wanting to take a romantic stroll. This garden of caves is a popular cave system with beautiful rock formations compelled with the beauty of scenic waterfalls lined all the way. It created a perfect romantic backdrop and is definitely one of the best places to visit in Meghalaya for honeymoon couples.
- Eco Park – The Eco-Park is a well-designed and maintained park, located on the cliff, to overlook the Bangladesh border. This park is maintained by the government of Meghalaya. It created a perfect romantic spot to the “Green Canyons” of Cherrapunji, cascading falls, and the Sylhet Plains of Bangladesh.
3. Mawlynnong – The Cleanest Village In Asia
When it comes to planning a honeymoon in Meghalaya, Mawlynnong emerges as an exceptional choice. Often hailed as “Asia’s cleanest village,” Mawlynnong is a hidden gem nestled in Meghalaya’s lush landscapes. This charming village, renowned for its pristine cleanliness and eco-friendly practices, offers honeymooners a unique insight into sustainable living and a truly refreshing experience.
Entering Mawlynnong feels like entering a perfect landscape painting with beautiful roads, and traditional houses surrounded by thick bamboo forest, creating a magical atmosphere overall. Lined with vibrant flowers and meticulously maintained gardens, Mawlynnong’s commitment to cleanliness is evident at every turn, making it a mesmerizing sight for honeymooners.
What sets Mawlynnong apart as a top choice for a honeymoon in Meghalaya is not just its cleanliness but also the warm hospitality of its locals. The villagers take immense pride in keeping their surroundings spotless, setting an inspiring example of responsible tourism. Moreover, they are gracious hosts who will welcome you with open arms and serve you delicious local dishes if you choose to spend a night in one of their homestays.
In Mawlynnong, your honeymoon becomes a journey into a world where nature’s beauty is complemented by the charm of responsible living and the warmth of the local people. It’s an experience that will leave you with not just beautiful memories but also a deep appreciation for the wonders of Meghalaya.
Nestled near the Bangladesh border, Dawki casts a spell on honeymooners with its crystal-clear river, breathtaking panoramas, and an array of captivating things to do in Meghalaya for honeymoon couples. The main attraction of Dawki is the pristine Umngot River, often hailed as Asia’s cleanest, renowned for its astonishing transparency.
The water of the Umngot River is so impeccably clear that boats gliding atop it appear to hover in mid-air, creating a surreal and romantic spectacle that makes Dawki an irresistible destination for honeymooners in Meghalaya. Adventure enthusiasts flock to this haven for thrilling water sports experiences.
For couples seeking memorable activities during their honeymoon in Meghalaya, kayaking and boating on the Umngot River are exquisite choices. These experiences allow you to navigate the serene river, surrounded by picturesque landscapes, immersing yourselves in the tranquility of the surroundings. The sensation of gliding through crystal-clear waters amidst nature’s beauty is nothing short of enchanting.
Nature-loving honeymooners can explore the nearby Shnongpdeng village, nestled along the Umngot River’s banks. The village offers idyllic camping sites, where you can spend romantic nights beneath the star-studded sky, serenaded by the gentle river’s flow. Camping in Shnongpdeng offers a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, providing an opportunity to reconnect with each other and with nature.
Dawki is also a paradise for angling enthusiasts. The river teems with diverse fish species, making it an angler’s delight. You can try your hand at angling, hoping for a prized catch like the elusive Mahseer fish, which adds an exciting dimension to your honeymoon in Meghalaya.
Thus, Dawki presents a serene and enchanting destination where the transparent waters of the Umngot River and the lush surrounding landscapes create a captivating backdrop for romantic getaways. Whether you choose to embark on magical boat rides, indulge in thrilling water sports, camp under the starlit sky, or explore the nearby attractions, Dawki promises a honeymoon filled with unforgettable moments amidst tranquility and natural beauty.
Tura, nestled amidst the picturesque Garo Hills in Meghalaya, promises an offbeat and enchanting experience for your honeymoon in Meghalaya. This captivating town seamlessly combines natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and thrilling adventure opportunities, making it a unique and enticing destination for couples seeking an extraordinary honeymoon.
Best Places To Visit In Tura For Honeymoon
- Nokrek National Park: This UNESCO Biosphere Reserve is a haven for nature lovers and adventurous couples. Home to rare and endangered species, including the elusive Red Panda and the Hoolock Gibbon, it invites you to embark on thrilling jungle treks and birdwatching expeditions. Within the park, you’ll uncover a diverse range of flora and fauna, creating an immersive experience for nature enthusiasts.
- Siju Caves: These expansive limestone caves are adorned with breathtaking stalactite and stalagmite formations, offering a mesmerizing underground adventure. As you explore the intricate chambers, you’ll unravel stories of the caves’ historical and geological significance, creating cherished memories of your honeymoon.
- Tura Peak: Located at the heart of the town, Tura Peak is not only a natural wonder but also a cultural hub. It hosts the annual Wangala Festival, celebrated with vibrant dance performances, traditional music, and cultural displays by the Garo community. This festival offers a captivating glimpse into the rich heritage and customs of the Garo people, providing a unique cultural experience for honeymooners.
- Pelga Falls: Nestled amidst lush greenery, the Pelga Falls is a tranquil oasis where nature enthusiasts can find serenity. With its cascading waters descending from rocky cliffs, it creates a serene setting for picnics and relaxation, allowing couples to unwind amidst the natural beauty of Meghalaya.
Tura in Meghalaya is a hidden gem that promises honeymooners a blend of natural wonders, cultural immersion, and adventurous exploration. Whether you’re trekking through Nokrek National Park of Meghalaya, delving into the mysteries of Siju Caves, immersing in the Wangala Festival’s vibrant festivities, or enjoying a peaceful day at Pelga Falls, Tura offers an exceptional honeymoon experience filled with beauty and discovery.
Suggested Places to Stay During Honeymoon in Meghalaya
1. Sunshine Farms and Resorts, Shillong
Nestled in the pristine beauty of Meghalaya, Sunshine Farms and Resorts stands as one of the finest options for your stay during your honeymoon in Shillong. This tranquil and zen-inspired retreat offers a captivating vista of lush green mountains and meadows, providing a serene backdrop for an unforgettable honeymoon experience.
Sprawling across approximately 13.5 acres of land, Sunshine Farms and Resorts not only pamper guests with luxurious amenities but also provide access to nearby natural wonders, making it a top choice for those seeking a romantic honeymoon in Shillong. Dwarksuid, a serene water body, and the majestic Diengiei Peak with its breathtaking mountain vistas are just a stone’s throw away.
Couples planning their honeymoon in Shillong can opt for either cozy tents or well-appointed standard villas. These accommodations are designed to blend comfort with style, ensuring that you and your partner have a truly rejuvenating and memorable stay.
What sets Sunshine Farms and Resorts apart as one of the best honeymoon resorts in Shillong is its peaceful and secluded location. Away from the hustle and bustle of city life, it allows couples to bask in the soothing embrace of nature. The resort’s unique ambiance, combined with the romantic vistas it offers, creates an ideal setting for couples to celebrate their love and embark on a remarkable journey together during their honeymoon in Meghalaya.
2. Jiva Resort, Cherrapunjee
Nestled in the heart of Cherrapunjee, Jiva Resort is renowned as one of the finest resorts in Meghalaya for a romantic getaway. Here, amidst the refreshing rain showers, you can create cherished moments with your loved one.
The resort offers a perfect blend of tranquility and local flavors, providing an ideal backdrop for relaxation and romance. With its expansive garden, this romantic place in Meghalaya invites you to take leisurely strolls and offers ample space for outdoor activities.
Surrounding Jiva Resort, you’ll discover captivating romantic places in Meghalaya that are perfect for honeymooners. Just 3 kilometers away, Seven Sister’s Falls captivates with its seven separate cascades flowing harmoniously down steep cliffs, creating a breathtaking spectacle that invites couples to immerse themselves in the refreshing mist and capture unforgettable memories.
Approximately 7.2 kilometers distant, Arwah Caves unveil a hidden world of limestone wonders, with unique rock formations and narrow passages that beckon exploration and create a thrilling underground adventure. About 13 kilometers away, Dainthlen Falls, named after a local legend, offers a serene ambiance and crystal-clear waters amidst lush greenery, providing an ideal setting for couples to relax and soak in the natural beauty during their honeymoon in Meghalaya.
3. Orchid Lake Resort, Umiam
If you’re planning to spend your newly married moments reconnecting with nature’s beauty, Orchid Lake Resort is your ideal romantic place in Shillong for your stay. Renowned as one of the finest places to stay for your honeymoon in Shillong, this resort is your haven for relaxation and rejuvenation.
As one of the top luxury resorts in Shillong, Orchid Lake Resort offers the perfect blend of adventure and natural serenity. Savor delicious, healthy meals that not only satisfy your palate but also introduce you to the delightful flavors of local cuisine.
For newlyweds seeking romantic experiences and things to do in Shillong for their honeymoon, Orchid Lake Resort offers a plethora of choices. Set against the scenic Umiam Lake and rolling valleys in Meghalaya, adventure couples can revitalize their spirits with activities like trekking, sightseeing, watersports, and much more. Orchid Lake Resort is celebrated as one of the most wonderful Meghalaya honeymoon resorts, making it an ideal retreat for couples to celebrate their love amidst the enchanting landscapes of Shillong.
Frequently Asked Questions for Honeymoon in Meghalaya.
1. Why should we consider Shillong for our honeymoon?
Shillong is a fantastic choice for your honeymoon because it offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and cultural treasures. You can immerse yourselves in lush landscapes, explore waterfalls, and enjoy the local culture, all while enjoying some precious moments together.
2. When is the best time for a honeymoon in Shillong?
The best time for a honeymoon in Shillong is during the months of October to April. This period offers pleasant weather with clear skies and comfortable temperatures, making it ideal for romantic outings and exploration.
3. What romantic activities can we do in Shillong?
In Shillong, you can enjoy romantic activities like visiting cascading waterfalls, soaking in the magnificent views from various vantage points, going on a hike through the refreshing lush forest, indulge in water activities together at the scenic Umiam Lake, or attending vibrant local festivals. In Shillong, you can also visit the churches to seek blessings for your newly married life. These activities create memorable moments for couples to cherish during their honeymoon in Shillong.