11 Best Places to Visit in Kohima
One of the most offbeat places in India, Kohima, the capital city of Nagaland in Northeast India, is a hidden gem with natural beauty and cultural significance. This charming city is known for its rich heritage, stunning views, and picturesque landscapes. In this blog, we’ll explore the best places to visit in Kohima and why they are worth exploring.
Discovering the Charm of Kohima
Discover the charm of Kohima with its breathtaking views, rich cultural heritage, and diverse attractions. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or cultural immersion, the best places to visit in Kohima have something for every traveler. Embark on a journey to explore the top tourist attractions and experience the essence of this enchanting city.
Kohima: An Overview
Kohima, the capital city of Nagaland, is nestled in the scenic landscapes of Northeast India. Known for its rich cultural heritage and picturesque beauty, Kohima attracts tourists from all over the world. The city offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and cultural significance, making it a must-visit destination for travelers.
Some of the best places to visit in Kohima include the Kohima War Cemetery, Naga Heritage Village, and Dzükou Valley. The Kohima War Cemetery is a poignant reminder of the sacrifices made during World War II, and is beautifully maintained as a tribute to the soldiers who lost their lives and many more.
1. War Cemetery: A Tribute to History
The War Cemetery, one of the best places to visit in Kohima is a tribute to the soldiers who fought and lost their lives in World War II. It holds immense historical significance and serves as a reminder of their sacrifices.
The well-maintained cemetery provides a serene place for visitors to pay respects and reflect on the bravery of the soldiers, making it one of the best summer vacation places for families.
Timings: 9 AM to 4 PM
Things to do at the War Cemetery
- Pay your respects to the fallen soldiers and offer prayers at the gravesites.
- Learn about the history of the cemetery and the significance of the Battle of Kohima in World War II.
- Take a moment of silence to reflect upon the sacrifices made by the soldiers and the impact of war.
- Capture the beauty and serenity of the cemetery through photography.
- Attend the annual Remembrance Day ceremony held at the cemetery to honor and remember the fallen soldiers.
2. Japfu Peak & Dzukou Valley: Nature’s Splendour
Nestled in the heart of Kohima, Japfu Peak and Dzukou Valley are two of the best places to visit in Kohima for anyone seeking an introvert-friendly destination. These natural wonders offer breathtaking views and an escape into the lap of nature’s splendor, showcasing the scenic beauty and natural diversity of the region.
Whether you’re a trekking enthusiast, a nature lover, or simply looking to unwind in the midst of natural beauty, Japfu Peak and Dzukou Valley are perfect destinations to explore in Kohima, making them a must-visit on any traveler’s list of the best places to visit in Kohima.
Location: 25 Km south of Kohima
Best Time To Visit: June to September
Activities to Enjoy at Japfu Peak & Dzukou Valley
- Embark on a trek to the summit of Japfu Peak and witness panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and hills.
- Camp overnight in the picturesque Dzukou Valley and experience the serenity of nature.
- Enjoy breathtaking views of the valley and capture stunning photographs of the lush green landscape.
- Explore the flora and fauna of the valley, including rare and exotic plant species.
- Engage in birdwatching and spot a variety of bird species in their natural habitat.
3. Intanki Wildlife Sanctuary: Biodiversity Hub
Located near Kohima, the Intanki Wildlife Sanctuary is a biodiversity hub known for its rich fauna and flora. Spread across an area of lush green forests, this sanctuary offers an immersive wildlife experience and is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. Not just that this place also allows you to watch one of the best sunsets in the world.
Exploring Intanki Wildlife Sanctuary
- Home to rare wildlife species such as wild buffalo, barking deer, hoolock gibbon, and sloth bear
- Perfect for wildlife spotting and birdwatching, making it one of the best places to visit in Kohima.
- Beautiful natural surroundings ideal for nature walks and photography
- Tranquil Sanctuary offering a once-in-a-lifetime experience
- Abundance of bird species for birdwatching enthusiasts
4. Touphema Village: Cultural Immersion
Looking for the best places to visit in Kohima? Look no further than Touphema village, located near Kohima! This unique cultural immersion offers a chance to experience the traditional Naga way of life and is a must-visit destination for those seeking an authentic Naga cultural experience.
Touphema village is one of the best places to visit in Kohima and one of the best summer vacation destinations in the world, for its perfect blend of scenic beauty, rich cultural heritage, and warm hospitality.
Things to Experience at Touphema Village
- Witness traditional Naga cultural performances, including music, dance, and rituals.
- Explore the traditional huts and learn about the unique architectural style of the Naga tribe.
- Engage in traditional activities such as bamboo weaving, pottery making, and traditional cooking.
- Taste authentic Naga cuisine, known for its unique flavors and use of local ingredients.
- Take part in cultural festivals and celebrations to experience the vibrancy and diversity of Naga culture.
5. Heritage DC Bungalow: Luxury Amidst Nature
The Heritage DC Bungalow, one of the best places to visit in Kohima is located in the heart of Kohima, offering a luxurious and tranquil escape in nature. This heritage property provides comfort and serenity, making it an ideal place to stay and explore the city.
Location: Officers Hill
What to Expect at Heritage DC Bungalow
- The Heritage DC Bungalow in Kohima offers a luxurious and comfortable stay with its heritage architecture and beautiful surroundings.
- Enjoy spacious rooms and personalized service along with luxurious amenities.
- Take a leisurely stroll in the beautiful botanical garden surrounding the property and immerse yourself in nature’s tranquility.
- The bungalow serves as a gateway to explore the rich history and cultural significance of Kohima.
- Immerse yourself in the breathtaking views and natural beauty of the botanical garden, making your stay at the Heritage DC Bungalow a truly memorable one.
6. Mary Help Of Christians Cathedral: Architectural Marvel
The Mary Help Of Christians Cathedral, one of the best places to visit in Kohima and one of the most photographed places in the world, is an architectural marvel with cultural and religious significance. Its stunning design and intricate artwork make it a visual delight. Whether you’re a history buff, architecture enthusiast, or seeking serenity, the cathedral is a must-visit destination in Kohima.
Location: Aradurah Hill
Timings: 8 AM to 5 PM
Experiences at Mary Help Of Christians Cathedral
- Visiting the Mary Help Of Christians Cathedral in Kohima provides a unique and enriching experience.
- Marvel at the architectural beauty and intricate craftsmanship of the cathedral, and immerse yourself in the peaceful and serene atmosphere it offers.
- Take time to admire the stained glass windows, grand arches, and beautiful artwork that adorns the cathedral.
- Experience the cultural and religious significance of the cathedral by attending a service or participating in a ceremony.
7. Nagaland State Museum: Cultural Exploration
The Nagaland State Museum is one of the best places to visit in Kohima. It offers a unique and immersive cultural exploration of the rich heritage and traditions of Nagaland. This museum is among the unique museums in the world, showcasing a diverse collection of artifacts, artworks, and historical objects.
Location: Upper Bayavu Hill
Timings: 9:30 AM to 3 PM
Activities at Nagaland State Museum
- Explore the museum’s exhibits and learn about the history and culture of Nagaland.
- Attend cultural workshops and demonstrations to get a hands-on experience of traditional crafts and art forms.
- Engage in interactive sessions and guided tours to gain in-depth knowledge of the museum’s collections.
- Capture memorable moments with photography of the museum’s beautiful displays and artistic masterpieces.
- Immerse yourself in the cultural exploration and heritage of Nagaland through the museum’s visual content and multimedia presentations.
8. Shilloi Lake: Serene Beauty
Looking for the best places to visit in Kohima? Look no further than Shilloi Lake! This serene and tranquil retreat is situated in the Phek district of Nagaland and is known for its picturesque views and breathtaking surroundings.
It’s no wonder why Shilloi Lake is considered one of the best places to visit in Kohima. And if you’re looking for places to visit in India in May, Shilloi Lake should be at the top of your list!
Location: Phek District
Things to do at Shilloi Lake
- Enjoy boating in the lake and soak in the serene beauty of the surroundings.
- Go fishing and try your luck at catching local fish species.
- Take leisurely strolls around the lake and appreciate its scenic beauty.
- Immerse yourself in nature and capture stunning photographs of Shilloi Lake and its surrounding landscapes.
- Engage in birdwatching and spot a variety of bird species, as the lake is a haven for birdlife.
9. Zoological Park Or The Kohima Zoo: Wildlife Encounter
The Kohima Zoo, also known as the Zoological Park, provides a natural and beautiful setting to encounter wildlife. It houses various animal species, including sloth bears, barking deer, and hoolock gibbons. With well-maintained enclosures and natural habitats, the zoo offers an educational and respectful opportunity to learn and observe wildlife.
Timings: 9 AM to 5 PM
Exploring the Zoological Park Or The Kohima Zoo
- Explore the zoo and come across various animal species in their natural habitats.
- Witness the playful and curious sloth bears, observe the elegant barking deer, and listen to the intriguing calls of the hoolock gibbons.
- The zoo offers guided tours and informative displays to enhance your wildlife experience.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the animals and their natural behaviors.
- Connect with wildlife and leave with a greater appreciation for the diversity and beauty of the natural world.
10. Dzulekie: Adventure in the Wild
Dzulekie, a village near Kohima, is a paradise for nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers, making it one of the best places to visit in India in June. With its rich biodiversity and scenic beauty, it offers an immersive experience in the wild. From rare tragopan birds to breathtaking views, Dzulekie is perfect for those seeking an adrenaline rush in nature.
Location: 38 Kms from Kohima
Activities to Undertake at Dzulekie
- Engage in trekking through the dense forests and mountainous terrains of Dzulekie.
- Spot rare and exotic bird species, such as the tragopan bird, in their natural habitat.
- Capture breathtaking views and scenic beauty of the village and its surroundings.
- Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage and traditional practices of the local community.
- Explore the nearby village of Jotsoma, known for its scenic beauty and tribal culture.
11. Kisama Heritage Village: Walk Through History
Kisama Heritage Village near Kohima is a unique opportunity to explore Nagaland’s rich cultural heritage. It showcases the traditional lifestyle and practices of the Naga tribe through traditional homes, cultural performances, and local handicrafts. With its scenic beauty and vibrant community, it offers an authentic and immersive cultural experience for visitors.
Location: P.W.D Colony
Timings: 24 Hours
Experiences at Kisama Heritage Village
- Kisama Heritage Village is a must-visit place to experience the rich and vibrant cultural heritage of the Naga people.
- Witness traditional Naga cultural performances and visit traditional huts to learn about the unique customs and traditions of the Naga tribe.
- Engage in cultural activities and try traditional delicacies to immerse yourself in the diverse culture of the community.
- The village hosts cultural festivals and celebrations where you can witness traditional dance, music, and art forms.
What Makes Kohima a Must-Visit Destination?
Kohima is a must-visit destination with a rich cultural heritage, top attractions, and natural beauty. It offers a unique blend of history, culture, and scenic landscapes. Whether you’re interested in history, trekking, or seeking solace in serene surroundings, Kohima has it all.
Have You Explored Kohima Yet?
Don’t miss out on the beauty and cultural significance of Kohima. This captivating city offers breathtaking views, rich cultural heritage, and top tourist attractions. Explore, indulge, and create lasting memories in beautiful Kohima.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Kohima is so famous?
Kohima, the capital city of Nagaland, is famous for its unique culture, traditional festivals, and historical significance. The Hornbill Festival, held in December, attracts visitors from all over. Additionally, Kohima’s role in the Battle of Kohima during World War II adds to its fame.
What are the best places to visit in Kohima?
Looking for the best places to visit in Kohima? Don’t miss out on the Kohima War Cemetery, a significant site for history enthusiasts. Experience the traditional lifestyle and culture of Nagaland at the Naga Heritage Village. Explore the diverse wildlife at the Kohima Zoo and enjoy breathtaking views from Japfu Peak.
What are the top attractions of Kohima?
Discover the top attractions of Kohima. Visit the historic War Cemetery, explore the fascinating Kohima Museum, experience the traditional way of life in Khonoma Village, and embark on a trekking adventure in the scenic Dzukou Valley.
Which is the most beautiful city in Nagaland?
Known for its unique charm and stunning landscapes, Kohima is often hailed as the most beautiful city in Nagaland. Perched on a hill, this city offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area. Don’t miss attractions like the War Cemetery, Naga Heritage Village, and Dzükou Valley when visiting Kohima.