12+ Best Sites For Snorkeling in Andaman: Travel Guide and Tips
If you’re dreaming of crystal-clear waters, colorful coral reefs, and a close encounter with marine wonders without diving deep into the ocean, then snorkeling in Andaman is just the perfect activity for you. Tick off this ultimate adventure from your bucket list with the adventure-packed Andaman Tour Package – your perfect island vacation.
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal, with their colorful coral reefs and vibrant marine life, are a haven for snorkeling enthusiasts. As you dip into the warm, clear waters, you’ll find yourself surrounded by a kaleidoscope of colors, teeming with diverse marine life.
Andaman Snorkeling is a water activity that allows you to explore the underwater beauty without complicated equipment or training. In Andaman, it’s not just an activity; it’s a gateway to a marine wonderland. for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike.
Whether you’re an experienced snorkeler or a novice, the Andaman archipelago offers a diverse range of snorkeling spots to cater to everyone’s preferences. In this blog, we will take you on an underwater exploration to discover the best places for snorkeling in Andaman, costs, travel tips to Andaman snorkeling, and more for your next adventure!
What is Snorkelling and Types of Snorkelling in Andaman?
Snorkeling is a water sport that doesn’t require extensive training or complicated equipment. It involves floating on the water’s surface with a mask, allowing you to observe the underwater world. The mask comes with a snorkel tube that extends above the water and allows you to breathe the surface air while you are watching underwater.
Unlike, scuba diving in Andaman, snorkeling is a very convenient water activity that can be done without the need to bear the weight of a heavy cylinder. Snorkeling can also be done in shallow waters without diving deep into the water.
There are 3 types of Snorkelling Offered in Andaman as follows:
- Shore Snorkeling: Ideal for beginners, shore snorkeling lets you explore the shallow waters near the best beaches. Just grab the mask and snorkel and walk a few step in the water from the beach and peep inside to watch the colorful aquatic life. Popular spots like Elephant Beach and North Bay provide easy access to stunning coral formations and colorful marine life. It is easily accessible and convenient for all.
- Boat Snorkeling: For those seeking a bit more adventure, hop on a boat and sail to prime snorkeling spots. Boat snorkeling in Andaman takes you offshore into the deep waters with more diverse marine landscapes, promising encounters with larger schools of fish, a variety of underwater life, and more extensive coral reefs.
- Night Snorkeling: If you want to enjoy the nightlife in Andaman in a unique manner, then you should consider night snorkeling. A unique experience offered in Andaman, night snorkeling unveils a different world after dark. Equipped with underwater flashlights, witness the ocean transform under the moonlight, revealing nocturnal marine creatures and a whole new side to Andaman’s underwater beauty, creating memories that last a lifetime.
What To See Underwater While Snorkelling In Andaman?
As you dip beneath the surface you will witness Andaman’s underwater kingdom which is a living masterpiece, teeming with vibrant marine life and stunning coral formations. Here’s a glimpse of what awaits you beneath the waves as you go snorkeling in Andaman:
- Colorful Coral Reefs: Dip into the clear waters, and you’ll find yourself surrounded by a kaleidoscope of colors. Andaman boasts some of the most beautiful coral gardens in the world. Snorkelers can witness soft and hard coral varieties, creating a breathtaking underwater landscape.
- Exotic Fish Species: Say hello to your underwater neighbors—the fish! Andaman’s waters are populated by an array of fish species in all shapes and sizes. From playful clownfish to majestic parrotfish, every snorkeling session is a chance to make fin-tastic friends.
- Graceful Sea Turtles: If you’re lucky, you might catch a glimpse of graceful sea turtles gliding through the water. The Andaman Islands are known for their efforts in turtle conservation, providing a haven for these magnificent creatures.
Best Places For Snorkelling in Andaman
1. Andaman Snorkelling Sites In and Around Port Blair
Snorkeling in Andaman is a ticket to an underwater paradise, and Port Blair, the capital, is your gateway to some of the best snorkeling sites in the archipelago. For Snorkelling in Andaman Price in Port Blair Range from ₹1500 to ₹4500. Let’s dive into the crystal-clear waters and explore the top snorkeling spots around Port Blair, each offering a unique marine spectacle.
1. Red Skin Island – A part of Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Red Skin Island is a snorkeler’s dream come true. Just a short boat ride from Port Blair, this site is renowned for its vibrant coral reefs and clear waters. As you snorkel along the shores of Red Skin Island, be prepared to encounter an array of aquatic life, including colorful fish and intricate coral formations.
2. North Bay Island/ Coral Island – North Bay Island, also known as Coral Island, is one of the best places for snorkeling in Andaman. The snorkeling in Andaman price here is relatively budget-friendly, making it an excellent choice for both beginners and experienced snorkelers. The shallow, crystal-clear waters reveal a kaleidoscope of marine life, from playful clownfish to graceful sea anemones.
3. South Button National Park – For those seeking a more immersive experience, South Button National Park in Andaman is an ideal choice. The slightly higher cost is justified by the park’s pristine underwater landscapes and diverse marine ecosystems. Snorkeling here offers encounters with schools of colorful fish, intricate coral gardens, and, if you’re lucky, sightings of rays and reef sharks.
4. Jolly Buoy Island – Jolly Buoy Island, part of the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park in Andman, is a paradise for nature lovers. The snorkeling cost includes a boat ride and necessary equipment. Beneath the surface, you’ll discover a world of underwater wonders – vibrant coral reefs, playful fish, and the occasional sea turtle.
5. Barren Island – For the more adventurous souls, Barren Island offers a unique snorkeling experience amidst an active volcano. The higher cost reflects the rarity and excitement of snorkeling near an active volcano. While the aquatic life here is diverse, including schools of fish and rare coral species, it’s the surreal underwater landscape that sets Barren Island apart.
2. Snorkeling Sites In and Around Havelock Island (Swaraj Dweep)
Havelock Island, now known as Swaraj Dweep, is a gem in the Andaman archipelago, celebrated for its pristine beaches and vibrant coral reefs. The snorkeling in Andaman price at Swaraj Dweep ranges from ₹750 to ₹3500. Let’s embark on an underwater journey and discover the best snorkeling sites around Havelock, each promising a unique and awe-inspiring marine adventure.
1. Nemo Reef – Nemo Reef, as the name suggests, is a hotspot for finding the famous clownfish, just like Nemo from Finding Nemo. This snorkeling site near Havelock Island offers crystal-clear waters and an abundance of colorful corals, making it an ideal spot for both beginners and seasoned snorkelers.
2. Elephant Beach – One of the best beaches in Andaman – Elephant Beach stands out as a well-known snorkeling paradise, easily reachable from Havelock. Vibrant coral formations and diverse marine life, including schools of fish and friendly turtles, make Elephant Beach a must-visit. The shallow waters ensure a safe and budget-friendly snorkeling experience.
3. Tribe Gate – Tribe Gate is a lesser-known place for snorkeling in Andaman near Havelock Island. The site is characterized by its thriving coral gardens and an array of marine species. The calm and clear waters at Tribe Gate provide an excellent opportunity for snorkelers to witness the underwater beauty at their own pace.
4. Turtle Beach – True to its name, Turtle Beach is a haven for those eager to spot these graceful creatures. The Andaman snorkeling experience at Turtle Beach is enriched by encounters with various types of turtles, making it a favorite among wildlife enthusiasts. The tranquil waters and sandy bottom enhance the overall appeal of this site.
5. Other Places – Along with the above snorkeling sites, there are several other sites around Havelock Island, which makes it one of the best places for snorkeling in Andaman. These include Barracuda City known for its lively barracuda population, and Minerva Ledge – a place to explore the underwater cliffs and rocky formations. Mac Point, Aquarium, Turtle Bay, Lighthouse, Pilot Reef, etc.
3. Other Andaman Snorkelling Sites
Beyond the well-known spots around Port Blair and Havelock, the Andaman Islands hold hidden gems for snorkeling enthusiasts. Let’s explore some lesser-known but equally captivating and best places for snorkeling in Andaman archipelago, promising unique underwater experiences.
1. Bharatpur Beach, Neil Island (Shaheed Dweep) – Bharatpur Beach in Neil Island is a snorkeler’s delight with its calm and shallow waters, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced enthusiasts. The coral reefs near the shoreline create a mesmerizing underwater landscape. Snorkeling here offers encounters with vibrant fish, including clownfish and parrotfish. The coral gardens are home to anemones and various species of colorful marine life. The snorkeling in Andaman price here is around ₹1800 per person.
2. Kalipur Beach, Diglipur – Kalipur Beach, situated in Diglipur, is an offbeat gem for snorkeling in Andaman, away from the crowds. The black sand beach sets the stage for an immersive underwater journey, and the clear waters enhance visibility. Snorkelers at Kalipur Beach can witness schools of reef fish, butterflyfish, and angel fish. The diverse coral formations harbor sea anemones and other fascinating marine creatures. The snorkeling in Andaman price here is around ₹2200 per person.
3. Henry Lawrence Island – Henry Lawrence Island offers a secluded snorkeling spot with pristine waters and untouched coral reefs. The sense of serenity makes it an ideal escape for those seeking a peaceful underwater experience. Snorkeling in Andaman around Henry Lawrence Island provides glimpses of diverse marine life, including surgeonfish, damselfish, and various coral species. The secluded nature of the site enhances the overall tranquility of the experience. The snorkeling in Andaman price here is around ₹2500 per person.
Best Time For Snorkeling in Andaman
The best time for snorkeling – one of the top water activities in the Andaman Islands is during the dry season, which spans from October to May. During these months, the weather is characterized by calm seas, clear skies, and reduced rainfall, creating optimal conditions for underwater exploration. The sea remains relatively calm, ensuring a safe and enjoyable snorkeling in Andaman experience.
The months of December to April are particularly favored, offering the best visibility and water conditions. The water temperature is pleasant, ranging from 26 to 30 degrees Celsius, attracting a diverse array of marine life to the vibrant coral reefs. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced snorkeler, this period provides the perfect opportunity to witness the breathtaking underwater world of the Andaman Islands in all its glory. Plan your visit during these months to make the most of your snorkeling adventure in this tropical paradise.
Travel Tips For Andaman Snorkeling
Exploring the underwater wonders of the Andaman Islands through snorkeling is a thrilling adventure and one of the top things to do in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Here are some simple yet essential tips to ensure safe and enjoyable snorkeling in Andaman:
- Gears and Equipment – Rely on authentic and certified operators for gear rentals and booking your adventure of snorkeling in Andaman. Invest in well-fitting and high-quality snorkeling gear, including a mask, snorkel, and fins. Ensure they are comfortable and provide a good seal to prevent water entry.
- Duration and Cost – Plan your snorkeling sessions wisely, keeping in mind the duration and associated costs. Many tour operators offer packages with varying durations, allowing you to choose based on your comfort and budget.
- Age Limit – While snorkeling is a fantastic activity suitable for many age groups, it’s essential to be aware of age restrictions. Ensure that participants, especially children below 10 years and elderly individuals above 60 years, meet the specified age requirements for safety reasons.
- Medical Conditions – Inform your guide about any pre-existing medical conditions before snorkeling. Certain health issues may require extra precautions or restrict participation. Always prioritize your well-being. Participants with respiratory problems must consult a doctor.
- Safety Precautions – Adhere to safety guidelines provided by instructors. Familiarize yourself with hand signals for communication underwater. Always snorkel with a buddy, and don’t venture too far from the group.
- Underwater Photography And Videography Tips – Capture the mesmerizing underwater scenery with waterproof cameras. Ensure your equipment is securely attached and practice taking shots without disturbing marine life. Respect the environment, avoiding touching or disturbing coral reefs and marine creatures.
Remember, these tips are designed to enhance your Andaman snorkeling experience by ensuring safety, comfort, and respect for the marine ecosystem. Embrace the beauty beneath the waves responsibly and create lasting memories in this tropical paradise.
Frequently Asked Questions For Snorkelling in Andaman
Where are the best places to go snorkeling in Andaman?
Some of the best places for snorkeling in Andaman include North Bay Island, and Red Skin Island near Port Blair. Some best around Havelock include the Nemo Reef, Elephant Beach, Turtle Bay, Tribe Gate, etc. Some offbeat places for snorkeling in Andaman include Neil Island, Kalipur Beach and Henry Lawrence Island.
Do I need prior experience or specific skills for snorkeling in Andaman?
No, snorkeling in Andaman does not need any prior experience as it is suitable for all levels. From beginners to experienced divers, Andaman snorkeling ensures a safe experience for everyone.
What equipment is needed for snorkeling, and is it available for rent in Andaman?
Essential equipment for snorkeling in Andaman includes a mask, snorkel, and fins. Yes, you can easily rent snorkeling gear in Andaman.
What marine life can one expect to see while snorkeling in Andaman?
From colorful coral reefs to schools of diverse fish species, perhaps even some sea turtles, etc are seen while snorkeling in Andaman.