10 Water Sports In Meghalaya: Adventures in Natural Waterpark
Explore the thrilling water sports in Meghalaya with our powerpack and adventurous Meghalaya Trip Packages. The meandering rivers, cascading waterfalls, and glittering lakes create many opportunities to indulge in some adrenaline-pumping water activities and create some fun memories within the lap of nature in Meghalaya – “The Abode of Clouds”.
This beautiful state is like a giant natural waterpark, tucked away perfectly in the northeastern part of India. It is a heaven for adventure enthusiasts and natural lovers with its lush forest cover, dark caves, mountains, scenic valleys, rivers and stunning natural living root bridges. All these diverse geographical setting offers plenty of playground for adventure sports in Meghalaya.
Beyond adventure, nature and water sports in Meghalaya, this state is also known for its diverse culture, thus promising you a memorable vacation with lots of exploration and discovery. Every turn you take on your trip to Meghalaya is unboxing something new and exciting while being in the lap of nature.
So, let’s dive deeper into the world of water sports in Meghalaya and unfold the diverse opportunities it presents to adrenaline junkies and water enthusiasts.
1. River Canyoning
River canyoning in Meghalaya is undoubtedly one of the best water sports in Meghalaya that adventurers can experience in this enchanting state. This offbeat activity combines the thrill of rappelling, swimming, and hiking, making it a unique and unforgettable adventure for all adventure enthusiasts. So, gear up, embrace the thrill, and make memories that will last a lifetime in Meghalaya’s pristine river canyons.
- Best Place for River Canyoning in Meghalaya: One of the prime locations for river canyoning in Meghalaya is the mesmerizing village of Mawsynram. Here, you’ll get the chance to navigate through narrow river canyons, surrounded by lush greenery and cascading waterfalls. The rugged terrain adds an extra element of excitement to your adventure. Wari Chora is another offbeat yet popular river canyoning destination in this state.
- Best Season: The best season to indulge in river canyoning is during the post-monsoon months, from September to May when the water levels are just right for this activity. You’ll want to experience this adventure with experienced guides who can ensure your safety while you explore the hidden gems of Meghalaya’s canyons.
- Approx Cost: As for the cost, river canyoning packages typically range from INR 2,000 to INR 4,000 per person, depending on the duration and inclusions. It’s an adventure that’s worth every penny, providing an adrenaline rush like no other while you immerse yourself in the breathtaking natural beauty of Meghalaya.
2. Water Rafting
River rafting stands out as one of the best water sports in Meghalaya. Prepare to paddle through the heart of Meghalaya’s breathtaking landscapes, maneuvering through exciting rapids and taking in the scenic beauty that surrounds you. River rafting in Meghalaya promises an unforgettable adventure that combines the best of nature and adrenaline for an experience you’ll cherish forever. So, put on your life jacket, grab your paddle, and dive into the thrill of river rafting in Meghalaya!
- Best Place for River Rafting in Meghalaya: The Umngot River is known for its crystal-clear waters and is one of the best places to visit in Meghalaya. So if you’re looking for a thrilling and beautiful raft ride, this is the place to go. But if you want something a bit more secret and off the beaten track, check out the Kynshi River and the Ranikor River in the Western Khasi Hills. These rivers offer more remote and difficult rapids, so you can get closer to nature.
- Best Season: The ideal time for river rafting in Meghalaya is during the post-monsoon season, from September to May. During these months, the weather is pleasant, and the water levels are just right for rafting, ensuring a safe and thrilling adventure.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of river rafting in Meghalaya can vary depending on the duration and package inclusions. On average, you can expect to pay between INR 1,500 to INR 3,000 per person. This cost often covers the equipment, experienced guides, and safety measures to ensure a memorable and secure experience.
Snorkeling in Meghalaya is a unique and offbeat water sports in Meghalaya to connect with the breathtaking natural beauty. Immerse yourself in the clear waters of Umngot River and discover the hidden wonders that lie beneath the surface, making it a must-try adventure.
- Best Places for Snorkeling in Meghalaya: Located near the town of Dawki, the Umngot River is renowned for its extraordinary clarity. Snorkeling here allows you to gaze into the underwater world below, where sunlight dances on the riverbed’s pebbles, and colorful fish swim gracefully.
- Best Season: The ideal time for snorkeling in Meghalaya is from October to April when the water is crystal clear and inviting. During these months, the underwater world comes alive, offering the best visibility for snorkelers.
- Approximate Cost: Snorkeling in Meghalaya typically ranges from INR 1,000 to INR 2,000 per person, including equipment rental and guidance. This relatively affordable adventure allows you to witness the surreal beauty of Meghalaya’s underwater realms.
4. Scuba Diving
Scuba diving in Meghalaya ranks among the most captivating water sports in Meghalaya, offering a window into an enchanting world beneath the surface. Dive into the Umngnot River to explore the aquatic treasure or explore the submerged rock formations and limestone caves while cave exploration in Meghalaya.
- Best Places for Scuba Diving in Meghalaya: Dawki, a town near the India-Bangladesh border, is a scuba diving hotspot. The crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River provide excellent visibility, allowing snorkelers to witness the vibrant aquatic life, colorful corals, and unique rock formations beneath the surface. You can also dive into the depths of the dark cave systems in Meghalaya to explore these submerged wonders, limestone caves and a diverse aquatic ecosystem.
- Best Season: The prime time for scuba diving in Meghalaya is from October to April when water clarity is at its peak. During these months, the underwater visibility is exceptional, enhancing the scuba diving experience.
- Approximate Cost: Scuba diving packages in Meghalaya typically range from INR 3,000 to INR 5,000 per person. This cost often includes equipment rental, professional guidance, and permits. It’s worthwhile for an adventure that unveils the hidden treasures of Meghalaya’s aquatic world.
Meghalaya’s meandering rivers and serene lakes make it an ideal destination for kayaking. This water sport allows you to connect with the state’s lush greenery, glittering waters, and breathtaking scenery. So, grab a kayak, paddle through the serene waters, and let Meghalaya’s beauty unfold before you, creating cherished memories of this unique adventure.
- Best Places for Kayaking in Meghalaya: Kayaking is one of the popular water sports in Shillong – the capital city of Meghalaya. The Umiam Lake near Shillong offers a serene environment for kayaking as it is surrounded by hills on all sides. The lake’s calmness makes it ideal for beginners. Kayaking can also be done at Dawki in the crystal clear waters of the Umngot River, which can be completed by taking a day excursion from Shillong.
- Best Season: The prime time for kayaking in Meghalaya is from September to May when the weather is pleasant, and water levels are conducive to this activity. This period ensures a comfortable and enjoyable kayaking experience.
- Approximate Cost: Kayaking in Meghalaya is relatively affordable, with rental fees for kayaks ranging from INR 500 to INR 1,500 per person, depending on the duration and location. This cost includes equipment rental, making it accessible for all adventure enthusiasts and a safer experience for adventure sports in Shillong.
6. Jet Skiing or Speed Boating
Jet skiing and speed boating in Meghalaya are among the most thrilling water sports in Shillong experiences, adding a dash of adrenaline to the serene landscapes of the state. Meghalaya’s pristine lakes and reservoirs, such as Umiam Lake and Wards Lake, offer the perfect playground for jet skiing and speed boating.
- Best Places for Jet Skiing and Speed Boating in Meghalaya: Umiam Lake near Shillong is a popular spot for jet skiing and speed boating which is also one of the top things to do in Shillong. Its vast expanse of calm waters and picturesque surroundings create an ideal setting for these water sports.
- Best Season: The best time for jet skiing and speed boating in Meghalaya is from September to May when the weather is pleasant, and the water conditions are suitable for these activities. During this period, you can enjoy the rides comfortably.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of jet skiing and speed boating in Meghalaya can vary depending on the duration and location. On average, expect to pay between INR 200 to INR 700 per person, including equipment rental and guidance.
7. Banana Boat Ride
Banana boat ride is a fun group water sports in Meghalaya that adds a playful twist to your journey through this serene state. It’s a delightful way to bond with friends and family while enjoying the natural beauty of Meghalaya’s waters. This adventure combines the thrill of speed with the joy of togetherness, making it one of the best group water sports to enjoy in the state.
- Best Places for Banana Boat Ride in Meghalaya: Umiam Lake near Shillong is a fantastic location for banana boat rides. Its calm waters and scenic surroundings make it an ideal spot for this fun-filled activity.
- Best Season: The ideal time for banana boat rides in Meghalaya is from September to May when the weather is pleasant and water conditions are suitable. This period ensures a comfortable and enjoyable ride for groups of all ages.
- Approximate Cost: Banana boat rides can vary depending on the duration and location. On average, expect to pay between INR 300 to INR 800 per person for a group ride, ensuring an affordable and entertaining adventure.
8. Waterfall Exploration
The numerous scenic waterfalls in Meghalaya offer a unique blend of adventure and nature. Waterfall exploration in Meghalaya is among the most awe-inspiring and refreshing activities in this northeastern wonderland. The state’s abundant rainfall creates a network of cascading waterfalls, making it a paradise for nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers. The experience of getting up close to these cascading wonders, feeling the cool mist on your skin, and immersing yourself in their pristine pools is unparalleled.
- Best Places for Waterfall Exploration in Meghalaya: Waterfall exploration is one of the best water sports in Cherrapunji, as this region is a waterfall haven. It’s home to iconic falls like Nohkalikai, Seven Sisters, and Dainthlen. Each of these waterfalls offers a unique sight and has a cultural significance.
- Best Season: The best time for waterfall exploration in Meghalaya is during the monsoon season from June to September when the waterfalls are at their majestic best. However, post-monsoon (October to May) also offers pleasant weather for a visit, if you want to hike up close to these waterfalls.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of waterfall exploration varies based on the number of waterfalls you plan to visit and the guided tour you choose. On average, plan to spend around INR 500 to INR 2,000 per person for a guided tour.
9. Cliff Jumping
Meghalaya’s rugged landscapes are adorned with clear, inviting waters that are perfect for cliff jumping. The thrill of leaping off rocky cliffs into pristine pools is an unforgettable experience that combines the thrill of jumping with the natural beauty of Meghalaya.
- Best Places for Cliff Jumping in Meghalaya: Going cliff jumping in the cascading Krang Shuri waterfalls is one of the top things to do in Meghalaya. The turquoise pool at the waterfall’s base is a perfect spot to take the leap. This remote village in Cherrapunjee is known for its living root bridges and offers opportunities for cliff jumping into natural pools along the way.
- Best Season: The ideal time for cliff jumping in Meghalaya is during the post-monsoon season from October to May. During these months, the water levels are stable, and the weather is pleasant for outdoor adventures.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of cliff jumping experiences can vary depending on the location and guides. On average, you can pay around INR 500 to INR 1,500 for guided cliff-jumping adventures.
10. Waterfall Rappelling
Meghalaya’s abundant rainfall results in a network of stunning waterfalls, creating an ideal environment for waterfall rappelling. This best water sports in Meghalaya allows you to witness the power and the beauty of nature as you have an opportunity to explore the waterfalls by getting as close to them as possible. It’s a unique and heart-pounding way to experience Meghalaya’s natural wonders.
- Best Places for Waterfall Rappelling in Meghalaya: Waterfall Rappelling is one of the best water sports in Cherrapunji, as this region is a waterfalls hotspot. Here, you can descend down famous falls like Nohkalikai, Dainthlen, and Rainbow Falls, each offering a unique challenge and captivating view. The Jaintia Hills is known for its pristine waterfalls, including Kudremukh Falls and Langshiang Falls, providing additional opportunities for waterfall rappelling adventures.
- Best Season: The post-monsoon months from October to May are the prime time for waterfall rappelling in Meghalaya. During this period, the water levels are ideal, and the weather is comfortable for outdoor activities.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of waterfall rappelling varies depending on the location and the duration of the experience. On average, anticipate spending between INR 1,500 to INR 3,000 per person, which typically includes equipment rental and expert guidance. It’s a worthwhile investment for an adventure that combines adrenaline and natural beauty.