Best Places to Eat in Shimla
When it comes to exploring new destinations, trying the local cuisine is an essential part of the experience. In Shimla, the capital city of the beautiful hill state of Himachal Pradesh, with our Himachal tour packages, food enthusiasts looking for places to eat in Shimla will find a delightful culinary journey awaits them.
From iconic restaurants to charming cafes, this blog will guide you through the best places to eat in Shimla, ensuring you have an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
1. Devicos Restaurant & D Lounge Bar
Looking for the best places to eat in Shimla? Check out Devicos Restaurant & D Lounge Bar, a popular eatery located on Mall Road. Devicos offers a delightful selection of South Indian delicacies, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Situated near the iconic Christ Church, Devicos offers a dining experience that’s hard to beat. So if you’re on the hunt for places to eat in Himachal, make sure to add Devicos to your list!
Location: Near Christ Church
Timings: 10 AM to 11 PM
- Devicos Restaurant & D Lounge Bar is a great spot for international cuisine, featuring a diverse range of dishes to suit everyone’s tastes.
- Italian pasta and Thai curries are just a couple of the mouthwatering options available.
- The restaurant uses only the freshest ingredients and pays close attention to detail in their presentation.
- It’s an ideal place for a romantic dinner with your partner.
- If you’re in Shimla, don’t miss out on the chance to savor some Himachali cuisine.
- Devicos offers a selection of traditional Himachali Rasoi dishes, including Chha Gosht, Madra, and Tudkiya Bhath.
- Don’t forget to finish off your meal with a cup of coffee and some delightful pastries.
2. Cafe Simla Times
Cafe Simla Times, located in Shimla, is one of the top places to eat in Shimla and a charming eatery with delicious food and live music. Whether you want breakfast or a place to relax after sightseeing, this cafe has it all. Enjoy French pastries and continental cuisine prepared perfectly, in one of the best places to visit in Himachal Pradesh.
Location: Mall Road
- Cafe Simla Times is a top spot for dining in Shimla
- Signature dishes are a must-try, including the decadent walnut pie dessert
- Dessert is made with care and high-quality ingredients
- International cuisine is also served to cater to all tastes
- Cafe has a welcoming atmosphere and live music
- Popular among both locals and tourists alike
3. The Restaurant, Oberoi Cecil
Indulge in a luxurious and elegant dining experience at The Restaurant at Oberoi Cecil in Shimla, one of the best offbeat places in India. Located in the iconic Oberoi Cecil Hotel, this restaurant combines British Raj influences with contemporary dining.
With its opulent decor and impeccable service, The Restaurant, one of the best places to eat in Shimla, provides a memorable meal. The menu features international cuisine, including traditional Indian dishes and scrumptious continental delights, prepared with exquisite attention to detail. A must-visit for food enthusiasts.
Location: The Oberoi Cecil
- The Restaurant at Oberoi Cecil is a must-visit for lovers of British Raj cuisine and for those looking for summer vacation places for families.
- The menu boasts a variety of dishes prepared with the finest ingredients and culinary expertise
- Guests can enjoy Indian, Chinese, and Continental specialties, ensuring a diverse range of flavors to suit every palate
- Traditional Indian curries and innovative fusion dishes are both on offer
- The restaurant at Oberoi Cecil is the perfect spot to satisfy any craving.
4. Himachali Rasoi
Looking for the best places to eat in Shimla, one of the most introvert friendly destinations? Look no further than Himachali Rasoi, a must-visit for those seeking authentic Himachali cuisine. Situated in the heart of Shimla’s Middle Bazar, this eatery is known for showcasing the region’s unique flavors and traditional dishes, including Sidu, Babru, and Chana Madra. Immerse yourself in the local culture while indulging in a delightful culinary experience at Himachali Rasoi, one of the top places to eat in Shimla.
Location: Lower Market
Himachal’s Traditional Delights
- Himachali Rasoi is a top pick for traditional Himachali cuisine in Shimla
- Enjoy the authentic flavors of the region, from Chha Gosht to Bal Mithai
- Locally sourced ingredients ensure a true taste of Himachal Pradesh
- Dining at Himachali Rasoi is a culinary journey through the hill state’s rich culinary heritage
5. Goofa Ashiana
Looking for unique places to eat in Shimla? Look no further than Goofa Ashiana! This hidden gem in the hills offers a one-of-a-kind dining experience with cave-like chambers that are perfect for romantic dinners or private gatherings.
Not only is the restaurant’s architectural design and cave-style seating unlike anything you’ll find at conventional eateries, but its location on Mall Road also provides breathtaking views of the hill station.
Location: Mall Road
- Goofa Ashiana is a great place to eat in Shimla.
- It has cave-like dining chambers that create an intimate and exclusive ambiance.
- The unique architectural design with cave-style seating distinguishes it from conventional restaurants.
- This feature guarantees a memorable and cozy dining experience.
- It’s perfect for private gatherings and romantic evenings.
- Goofa Ashiana is a must-visit while in the summer capital of Shimla.
- Its proximity to Hotel Combermere and nearby attractions adds to its allure.
6. Indian Coffee House
Tucked away in the summer capital of India, the Indian Coffee House is a must-visit spot and one of the oldest places to eat in Shimla. Offering a variety of coffee blends and snacks, it’s a cozy place to relax. The ambiance echoes the colonial charm of Shimla, making it a favorite among locals and tourists.
Location: Near Hotel Combermere
Coffee Varieties and Snacks
- Indian Coffee House offers a diverse selection of coffee blends and international flavors
- Their menu features a tempting array of snacks that complement the coffee offerings
- The walnut pie is a crowd-favorite
- Outdoor seating is available for guests to enjoy the pleasant weather
- Indian Coffee House is renowned for its exceptional South Indian coffee specialties.
Why choose local cuisine when in Shimla?
Local cuisine in Shimla offers a delightful culinary experience, reflecting the rich flavors of Himachal Pradesh. It provides an authentic glimpse into the region’s food culture. Must-try dishes like Himachali Rasoi are an integral part of Shimla’s culinary heritage, allowing visitors to savor the authentic taste of the hill station.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is famous in Shimla to eat?
Some of Shimla’s famous dishes include Channa Madra, Chicken Anardana, Siddus, and Tudkiya Bhath. Indulge your sweet tooth with Bal Mithai and Churkani. Don’t miss out on delicious street food like Momos and Aloo Tikki. And, of course, savor the flavors of Himachali cuisine while in Shimla.
What is the famous dish of Shimla?
Shimla, known for its Himachali cuisine, boasts a famous dish called Siddu. This steamed wheat bread is stuffed with mashed potatoes or lentils. Other popular dishes include Chha Gosht, Madra, and Tudkiya Bhath. Don’t miss the chance to try the delicious local street food like momos, chole bhature, and samosas.
What is the famous food of Shimla?
The famous food of Shimla is madra, a traditional dish made with chickpeas and yogurt. Other popular dishes include Channa Bhatura, Momos, and Siddu. Shimla is also known for its street food like Aloo Tikki, Golgappa, and Chaat. There are many restaurants in Shimla that serve both Himachali cuisine and international dishes.
What is a popular street food in Shimla?
Chole Bhature, a spicy chickpea curry with fried bread, is a beloved street food in Shimla. Other popular options include momos, samosas, and chaat. Don’t miss trying local sweets like Bal Mithai and Chha Gosht while exploring the food scene in Shimla.