12 Thrilling Adventure Sports in Uttarakhand: Must Try in 2023
Popularly known as “Devbhoomi” – Land of Gods, the magnificent state of Uttarakhand is a playground for many adventure activities. Unleash the adventurer in you as you participate in adrenaline-pumping adventure sports in Uttarakhand with our Uttarakhand Trip Packages
The geographical location of Uttarakhand makes it an ideal location for adventure sports. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced adventurer, the state’s rivers, such as the Ganges, Yamuna, and other rivers, will provide you with an unforgettable experience.
Whether you are a trekker or a hiker, the rugged terrains will provide you with trails that take you to breathtaking views and alpine pastures.
If you are a daredevil, you will find thrilling options such as bungee jumping and zip-lining in the state. In the dense forests and national parks, you can also go on a wildlife safari.
With a pleasant climate all year round, and a rich cultural heritage, as well as warm hospitality, there is no shortage of adventure activities in Uttarakhand to enjoy. With professional guidance and safety in mind, you will be able to enjoy your adventures with confidence. All in all, if you are looking for an adventure in Uttarakhand, you have come to the right place!
12 Best Adventure Sports in Uttarakhand
- Rafting – Crash the Rapids in the Ganges
- Bungee Jumping – Take the Leap of Adventure
- Trekking/ Hiking – Connect with the Himalayas
- Kayaking – Paddle your way in the Glacial Rivers
- Camping – Connect with the Nature
- Skiing – Glide on the snow-covered slopes of the Himalayas
- Jungle Safari – Encounter the Diverse Wildlife
- Paragliding – Dance with the winds above the Snow Peaks
- Ziplining – Soar Over the Majestic Landscapes
- Giant Swing – Swing over the Himalayan Valleys
- Cable Car Ride – Unfold the Panoramic Views
- Waterfall Exploration – Discover the Hidden Gems
Rafting is an adrenaline-filled aquatic adventure that combines the thrill of the water with the awe-inspiring beauty of nature. It is one of the most popular adventure activities in Uttarakhand, which takes place in the Yoga Capital of the World – Rishikesh. It’s an unforgettable experience that takes you through the raging waters of rivers such as the Ganges, Yamuna, and other valleys, forests, and landscapes. Rafting isn’t just about getting through the rapids, it’s about soaking up the natural beauty of the area and making memories that will last a lifetime. There are many different types of rafting in the state, ranging from beginners to experienced rafters.
- Best Places: Some of the best places for rafting are Rishikesh and Shivpuri. Rishikesh offers a variety of different types of rapids, ranging from calm stretches on the Ganges to intense ones on the Shivpuri Golf Course.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of a rafting trip in Rishikesh varies depending on the length and duration, but on average it will cost between INR 500-1500 per person per few hours.
- Best Time: The best time to raft in the state is between September and June, after the monsoon and before the summer, when water levels are at their peak and the weather conditions are ideal.
2. Bungee Jumping
Uneasy as it may seem, bungee jumping is a thrilling experience that combines the thrill of free falling with the awe-inspiring views of the Himalayan Mountains. Imagine being on the brink of a cliff, the wind rushing through your fingers, and your heart pounding as you take the plunge into the gorge. The adrenaline rush that comes with this thrilling experience is unparalleled, and it’s something that every thrill-seeker should experience at least once in their lifetime.
- Best Places: Mohanchatti village, located near the city of Rishikesh, is home to India’s highest fixed platform, the 83-meter bungee jump at Mohanchatti, which makes it one of the best adventure activities in Uttarakhand.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of bungee jumping in Rishikesh ranges from Rs 3500 to Rs 4000 per person, including the jump, certificates, and sometimes a video of the experience.
- Best Time: The best time to bungee jump is from September to June, when the climate is mild and the sky is clear and pleasant. This means that you can jump safely and enjoy the breathtaking views without worrying about the monsoon
3. Trekking and Hiking
Exploring the majestic Himalayas in its purest and most intimate form, trekking and hiking in the state of Uttarakhand is an activity that invites you to immerse yourself in breathtaking landscapes, explore ancient trails, and explore the authentic mountain lifestyle. It is one of the most popular adventure sports in Uttarakhand as this state offers a wide variety of treks, ranging from easy to difficult, that cater to hikers of all levels.
Trekking in Uttarakhand doesn’t just mean summiting summits. It means connecting with the natural surroundings, learning about the culture of the mountain communities, and pushing your limits amidst breathtaking landscapes. The memories you create and the personal growth you gain from these treks will stay with you forever.
- Best Places: Some of the famous treks in Uttarakhand are Valley of Flowers, Roopkund, Har ki Dun, Kedarnath, Dayara Bugyal, etc. Mostly, the treks in Uttarakhand are a combination of finding spiritual meaning and natural beauty.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of a trek in Uttarakhand depends on the length of the trek, difficulty level, and services offered. Generally, a moderate trek costs around INR 8000-12000 per person, including guides, accommodation and meals. While hiking in Uttarakhand may cost between 1000-3000 per person.
- Best Time: The best time to hike in Uttarakhand can be during the warmer months from May to June and from September to November when the skies are clear, temperatures are mild, and trails are well-marked.
Kayaking is an aquatic adventure sports in Uttarakhand that combines the thrill of paddling and the tranquility of the waterways of Uttarakhand. It’s an activity that allows you to traverse the rapids of the mighty rivers while enjoying the natural beauty of the majestic Himalayan landscapes. Whether you’re a beginner looking for a smooth paddle or a seasoned kayaker looking for intense rapids, there’s something for everyone in Uttarakhand.
- Best Places: Kayaking in Rishikesh, Ganges, Yamunotri, and Tons are some of the best places to go kayaking in the state of Uttarakhand. These rivers offer some of the most challenging stretches for experienced kayakers to experience an adrenaline-filled adventure.
- Approximate Cost: The best time to kayak in the state is between September and June when the water levels are at their peak and the weather conditions are ideal.
- Best Time: The cost of a Kayaking session varies depending on the type of river, the duration of the session, and the services provided. Generally, a Kayaking session in the state will cost between INR 1000-2,500 per person.
Camping is an amazing way to connect with nature and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Whether you’re camping by a river, on top of a hill, or in a dense forest, you’ll be surrounded by the beauty of nature. The smell of the mountain, the sound of a fire, and the glow of the night sky are all part of experiencing this amazing adventure sports in Uttarakhand.
- Best Places: The best places for camping are Binsar and Chopta. Binsar is located in the heart of Kumaon and is the best place to camp if you want to get a panoramic view of the peaks of the Himalayas. Chopta is known as India’s “Mini Switzerland” and offers peaceful meadows perfect for camping with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
- Approximate Cost: The approximate cost of camping varies depending on the location, amenities, and duration of the camping experience. Generally, the camping experience will cost between INR 1000-3000 per person, including lodging and meals.
- Best Time: The best time to camp is during the warm months of April to June, followed by the warm months of September to November when the weather is pleasant, the sky is clear, and the conditions are comfortable.
Ski in Uttarakhand is the perfect winter getaway, turning the snow-capped mountains into a playground for adrenaline junkies. It’s an exciting sport that lets you slide down pristine slopes surrounded by the stunning Himalayan scenery. Whether you’re just learning how to ski or you’re an experienced skier looking for some tough trails, the ski resorts in Uttarakhand have something for everyone. No matter if you’re a beginner or a pro, you’ll have an unforgettable experience that combines adrenaline and the beauty of the mountains.
- Best Places: The best places to ski in Uttarakhand are Auli and Dayara Bugyal. Skiing in Auli is one of the most popular winter adventure activities in Uttarakhand. Auli is known as India’s ‘Skiing Capital’ due to its powdery slopes with panoramic views of the Nanda Devi. Dayara is a picturesque meadow that turns into a skiing paradise in winter.
- Approximate Cost: Most skiers in Uttarakhand spend around INR 1500-3000 on a day of skiing, depending on the ski resort, gear rental, and training.
- Best Time: The best time to ski in the state is from December to February when the snow is at its peak.
7. Jungle Safari
Jungle safaris in Uttarakhand is one of those adventure sports in Uttarakhand that takes you to the heart of the rich biodiversity of the state. It brings you close to the wildlife, the dense forests, and the untouched landscapes. From the majestic big cats to the colourful birds, the state’s national parks and sanctuaries provide an opportunity to see nature at its best.
Understanding the delicate ecosystems and admiring the untamed beauty of the forests is the essence of a Jungle Safari in Uttarakhand. The thrill of wildlife encounters and the tranquility of the forests are sure to leave a lasting impression on the traveler’s heart and soul.
- Best Places: If you’re looking for a jungle safari, Jim Corbett and Rajaji National Parks are the best places to go. Jim Corbett is the oldest national park in India and is home to a ton of tigers, as well as lots of other wildlife. Rajaji National Park is a great place to go if you want to see elephants, tigers and leopards.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of a jungle safari will depend on the park you’re visiting, how long it’s going to be, and what kind of services you’re getting. Generally, you can expect to pay between 1500-3000 rupees per person.
- Best Time: The best time to go is between November and June, as the weather is usually nice.
Uttarakhand is the perfect place for paragliding – it’s a great way to get up close and personal with the Himalayan scenery. You’ll take off from a hillside and soar like a bird, taking in the stunning views of valleys, rivers and forests. The wind and views will make you feel calm and excited, and the bird-like view will make you feel like you’re in the arms of nature. Flying above the stunning scenery will leave a lasting impression on your memory, reminding you of how free and beautiful the sky is.
- Best Places: If you’re looking for the perfect place to paraglide, Ranikhet is the place to go! With its picturesque hill station, you’ll be able to take in the rolling hills and lush meadows of Kumaon. Mukteshwar is also a great spot, with its snow-covered peaks and the stunning valley below.
- Approximate Cost: Prices can vary depending on where you are, how long you’re flying, and any extras you want to add. Generally, you can expect to pay between INR 1500 and 3000 per person for a great experience.
- Best Time: The best time to go is between March and June, and then between September and November, when the sky is clear, temperatures are mild, and the wind is calm.
Ziplining is a thrilling activity that allows you to soar through the air and take in bird’s-eye views of Uttarakhand’s beautiful landscapes. It’s a combination of speed and the thrill of being suspended high above the ground. As you fly along the steel cables, you’ll be treated to stunning views of mountains, valleys and dense forests.
- Best Places: The best places to zipline in Uttarakhand are Mussoorie and Rishikesh. Mussoorie is a hill station where you can get a panoramic view of Doon Valley. Rishikesh is a great place to zipline as you can get a unique perspective of the Ganges River and its surroundings.
- Approximate Cost: The cost of a ziplining activity in Uttarakhand depends on the location and the length of the zip line. On average, you can expect to pay around INR 1000-2000 per person.
- Best Time: The best time to go on a ziplining adventure in Uttarakhand in the milder months is from September to June.
10. Giant Swing
Giant Swing is one of the most popular adventure sports in Uttarakhand that allows you to swing from unimaginable heights, above the stunning Himalayan landscapes. This thrilling activity combines the excitement of bungee jumping with the thrill of swinging, providing an adrenaline rush like no other. You will feel weightless as you plunge from the platform, plunging towards the Ganges, surrounded by lush forests.
- Best Places: The best places to go on a giant swing in the state of Uttarakhand are Jumpin Heights, Rishikesh, which is home to India’s highest giant swing.
- Approximate Cost: A giant swing usually costs between INR 2500-3500 per person, depending on the location.
- Best Time: If you are looking for the best time to go on a giant swing, the best time is between September and June. This is due to the warm weather that is common during this time of year.
11. Cable Car Ride
Cable Car Ride in Uttarakhand is one of the adventure sports in Uttarakhand that takes you on an enchanting ride above the beautiful landscapes of the region. This ride is more than just a ride, it takes you on an adventure that takes you through lush valleys, mountains, and flowing rivers. As you ascend, the panoramic view changes, giving you a unique view of the pristine beauty of Uttarakhand. This makes the ride even more memorable.
A cable car ride in Uttarakhand submerges you in the magnificence of the Himalayas and makes you feel as if you are floating above the landscapes. The feeling of floating above the landscapes and seeing nature’s wonders from above is indelible. It gives you a unique connection to the natural wonders of the region.
- Best Places: The best places for cable car rides are Auli and Nainital. Auli is famous for its skiing and the cable car ride takes you to the snow-capped peaks and the lush meadows of Auli. Nainital’s cable car ride gives you an aerial view of the sparkling lake of Naini and the picturesque surroundings of the town.
- Approximate Cost: The approximate cost of riding a cable car in the state of Uttarakhand is determined by the location and the distance covered. The average cost of a ride in the state is between INR 500-1000 per person.
- Best Time: The best time to ride a cable car is between September and June. The skies are clear and the temperatures are pleasant, making the ride even more enjoyable.
12. Waterfall Exploration
Waterfall Exploring in Uttarakhand is one of the most soothing adventure activities in Uttarakhand. It is an amazing way to explore the untouched beauty of the state. It’s a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and explore the tranquil beauty of waterfalls.
You’ll hike through beautiful trails, listen to the sound of rushing water, and be rewarded with the peaceful atmosphere of these hidden places. Not only do you get to see amazing waterfalls, but you’ll also get to listen to the sounds of nature! Waterfall Explorers in Uttarakhand often involve a hike, so you’ll get to experience the beauty of the untouched Himalayas.
- Best Places: Tiger Falls near Chakrata is a rewarding trek that offers a stunning view and a refreshing plunge pool. Near Mussoorie Jharipani is an offbeat gem with a trek that takes you to this tranquil waterfall. Neer Garh waterfall is located near Laxman jhula in Rawalpindi and offers a peaceful escape.
- Approximate Cost: The approximate cost of exploring these falls varies depending on the location, guided tour, and any necessary permits. The average cost ranges between INR 500-1500 per person.
- Best Time: The best time to explore these falls is during the warm weather months of April-June and September-November.
Frequently Asked Questions For Best Adventure Sports In Uttarakhand
1. What adventure sports can I try in Uttarakhand?
Adventure sports in Uttarakhand are all around you! White-water rafting is one of the most popular things to do in the area. Other adventure sports in Uttarakhand includes trekking, paragliding, bungee jumping, skiing, and jungle safari. These activities let you immerse in the region’s natural beauty while experiencing thrilling challenges.
2. Where can I go white-water rafting in Uttarakhand?
Rafting in white-water rapids is a must-do for anyone who loves the thrill of river rapids. If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, Rishikesh, in the state of Uttarakhand, is the place to go. The Ganges River is home to some of the most thrilling rapids in the world, and the stunning river scenery adds to the thrill.
3. Can beginners participate in adventure sports in Uttarakhand?
Absolutely, beginners are welcome to participate in adventure sports in Uttarakhand. Many activities have varying difficulty levels and skilled instructors who ensure safety and provide necessary guidance, making it accessible to all.
4. Do I need to book adventure sports activities in advance?
It’s advisable to book adventure sports activities in advance, especially during peak seasons. This guarantees availability and enables organizers to arrange necessary equipment, guides, and safety precautions for a seamless and enjoyable experience.